On this FAQs page you will find many helpful tips to help you navigate your learning journey with student portal training videos and how to seek help if you cannot find the answer here.


What do I need to do if I would like to suspend or withdraw my enrolment?

Speak to your Employment Consultant who will be able to help you suspend or withdraw.

Is this course compliant with Work for the Dole (WFD)?

We are Department of Human Services (DHS) compliant – our study schedules are flexible to support annual activity requirements of 25 or 15 hours per week.

I have completed other similar courses. Will I be eligible for any Credit Transfers?

If you have successfully completed other Certificate III courses (or higher) in the past, please notify your Employment Consultant before enrolling for a course and be sure to provide them with the “Statement of Attainment” documents from your previous College.

Your Employment Consultant assess your eligibility and let you know if any Credit Transfers can be applied.

What equipment and resources do I need to complete my course?

• Computer with internet access
• Device with in-built camera, for example a smartphone or computer with webcam
• Software packages, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint (or similar)
• Adobe Acrobat Reader

Does this course guarantee me a job?

Although doing a course doesn’t guarantee you a job, having a qualification will strengthen your skills and your job prospects. It also helps your Employment Consultant get you in front of more potential employers, increasing your job opportunities.

I have never studied a qualification before; will I still be able to do the course?

Yes! We’re here to support you every step of the way. Your course has been designed to be as interactive and engaging as possible to help you stay on track.

Who can help me choose a suitable course?

Your Employment Consultant can help you select a suitable course and get started with enrolment.

Who is my EC?

Your EC (Employment Consultant) is the person who you meet at the employment provider office.  They can help you select a course that meets your needs and provide direction for assistance when needed. 

Can I use my phone or tablet to study?

You can use your phone or any mobile device to study online. However, some aspects of the course will require you to have access to a desktop or laptop computer. 

If you do not have access to a computer, please contact your Employment Consultant for help.

How do I enrol into an MCI Achieve course?

Speak to your Employment Consultant.